Šonje Velimir, MSc
|Office:||Department of Finance, 214|
|Office Hours:||by appointment|
|UNDERGRADUATE STUDY:||Financial markets and institutions|
|GRADUATE STUDY:||Financial markets and institutions|
Mr.sc. Velimir Šonje was born in Zagreb. He earned bachelors degree in 1990, and masters degree in 1993 at Faculty of Economics, University of Zagreb. He attended World Bank Summer Schools in Vinena and Prag (1992-1993). His fields of experience and research are: macroeconomics, monetary theory and analysis, financial markets and institutions, financial development, and design and implementation of decision support systems in financial institutions. Mr.sc. Šonje is currently working as Director of Arhivanalitika Consulting. He is also founder of this company. The main activities of this company are: macroeconomic analysis and forecasting, financial sector advisory, public sector (fiscal management and financial policy), and competitiveness analysis. He previously worked in many respective companies and institutions like: Institute of Economics, Croatian National Bank, Council of Croatian Antitrust Commision, Raiffeisenbank Austria d.d., Raiffeisen Invest, and ICF Invest. He was also consultant of the Government of Republica of Croatia in design and implementation of stabilization programme that stopped hyperinflation process in Croatia (1193-1994), and as consultant for the World Bank on several financial sector projects in the region of South East Europe (2005). Mr.sc. Šonje published many papers and articles, edited many books, consulted on different projects, and had many lectures on seminars and conferences. Since 2003, he is also lecturer at Zagreb School of Economics and Management, where he teaches Financial Markets and Institutions.
- Šonje, V., E. Kraft and T. Dorsey (1996): "Monetary and Exchange Rate Policy, Capital Inflows and the Structure of the Banking System in Croatia" Second Dubrovnik Conference on Economies in Transition, June, Dubrovnik, also in: Blejer, M. and M. Škreb (1999): Financial Sector Transformation: Lessons from Economies in Transition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 237 - 265.
- Šonje, V. (1999): "The Role of the Central Bank in Capital Account Liberalization: The Case of Croatia." in: Blejer, M. I. i M. Škreb (eds) Central Banking, Monetary Policies, and the Implication for Transition Economies. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers: 317-338.
- with Babić, M.; P. Jurković and V. Šonje (1999): "Banking System Development in Croatia." Zagreb Journal of Economics, 3: 75-113.
- Šonje, V. (1999): "Financial Development and Economic Growth." Croatian Economic Survey No. 4., 1996 – 1999, Zagreb: Institute of Economics and Ministry of Finance: 204 – 246.
- Šonje, V. and B. Vujčić (2000): "Croatia in the Second Stage of Transition: 1994 – 1999." Croatian National Bank Working Papers W-1. Zagreb: CNB.
- with M. Škreb (2001): "Financial Sector Restructuring: The Croatian Experience." Bokros, L., Fleming A. and C. Votava (eds) Financial Transition in Europe and Central Asia. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank.
- with Edgar L. Feige, Michael Faulend and Vedran Šošić (2003): "Unofficial Dollarization in Latin America: Currency Substitution, Network Externalities, and Irreversibility." in: Salvatore, D.; J.W.Dean and T.D.Willet (eds.): The Dollarization Debate. Oxford: Oxford University Press: 46 – 71.
- with Edgar L. Feige, Michael Faulend and Vedran Šošić (2002): "Curency Substitution, Unofficial Dollarization and Estimates of Foreign Currency Held Abroad: The Case of Croatia" in: Blejer, M. and M. Skreb (eds): Financial Policies in Emerging Markets. Chicago: MIT Press.
- Šonje, V., ed. (2005): Veza koja nedostaje. Zagreb: Arhivanalitika
- Šonje, V. and A. Čičin-Šain, eds. (2007): Hrvatska na raskrižju. Izazovi dugoročnog razvitka u konkurentnom okružju. Zagreb: Mate.